Thursday, September 07, 2006

Birthdays go Digital

This is the first shot I took with my surprise birthday present, which was a Canon Powershot A620. At last my own digital camera again. The downside of being married to a professional photographer is that cameras are regarded as tools, so just as I would get the hang of my camera, it would be traded in for an upgrade. Professional digital cameras are great, fine quality, wonderful lenses, but they don’t tend to slip into your pocket, while you go for a walk with the children, so many photo opportunities get missed, just because you can’t be bothered to lug a camera bag with spare lenses around with you.

Anyway, my new Canon does a fine job, sharp as sharp macro facility, fine metering and focus, so it does most of the work for me, which is what I want in these days as a distracted mum photographer. Gone are the days when I could spend hours on one shot. Now before I’ve clicked the shutter once I’m being dragged off to look at something else, a newer, better flower, insect, leaf. So it’s just as well that I can point the camera in the vague direction of my chosen subject and tell it to get on with the rest. I am also visually challenged nowadays, needing my reading glasses to fine focus on something myself, but this clever camera doesn't really need me to do that either. Its tilting screen allows me to hold it at arms length, where I do have a hope of seeing what's what, the focussing zone system tells me what it's looking at, then I click. If I've left my glasses at home, while I'm out photographing arum lilies in a ditch beside the main road, I do have to wait to look at my shots properly till they are up on the computer though, but all in all we've got a good thing going, my camera and I! posted by Kit

No comments: